Meals are available at a reduced price or free to students whose families meet the income guidelines established by the USDA. The Food Service program is monitored by the Minnesota Department of Children, Families, and Learning. If you feel your family might qualify for this benefit, please contact Madelia School's Food Service Department office at (507) 642-3234 Ext 2115. You may also contact your school office for an application. The information is confidential, and students who receive the benefits are not identified in any way. You may apply at any time during the school year. In the operation of child nutrition programs, no child will be discriminated against because of race, gender, color, national origin, age, or disability.
STUDENTS CHARGE POLICY
The purpose of this policy is to ensure that students receive healthy and nutritious meals through the school district’s nutrition program and that school district employees, families, and students have a shared understanding of expectations regarding meal charges. The policy seeks to allow students to receive the nutrition they need to stay focused during the school day and minimize identification of students with insufficient funds to pay for school meals as well as to maintain the financial integrity of the school nutrition program.
II. GENERAL STATEMENT OF POLICY
- The Madelia School District recognizes the parent’s/guardian’s responsibility to provide breakfast and lunch for their children. Proper nutritional intake is essential for adequate learning to occur.
- It is the policy of the Madelia School District to offer breakfast and lunch. The food service department strives to produce quality meals at a reasonable cost.
- The food service program is a pre-payment program. Families and staff are expected to have a positive balance in their account at the beginning of the school year and during the course of the school year.
- Households may apply for free/reduced meals at any time during the school year. Applications are mailed to all households prior to the start of the school year and are included in new enrollment packets. In addition, applications are available on our school district web site at www.madelia.k12.mn.us and in the office at both the High School and the Elementary School.
III. PROCEDURES FOR NOTIFYING FAMILY OF ACCOUNT STATUS
Lunch account balances remaining at the end of the school year will be carried over to the new school year. Seniors' lunch balances will be transferred into a sibling's account or refunded to the parent/guardian. Student lunch balances will not be refunded unless a student is leaving the district. If you have any questions, please call the Food Service office at (507) 642-3234 Ext 2115.
- All students in grades K-12 will be notified in the lunch line each day when their account is at $5.00 or less.
- All parents and guardians will be notified a minimum of once per month via a letter or email regarding their lunch account balance.
- Families that have a negative balance will receive a weekly automated phone call.
- Phone calls to parents and guardians will be made by staff if funds are not received after procedures A, B and C have been utilized.
- The Parent Portal on the District’s website, www.madelia.k12.mn.us, can be used to view account information.
- Adults who have a negative account balance of $5.00 or greater will not be allowed to receive a school breakfast or lunch.